As a mum of three boys and with lots of friends with children, I quickly learnt that not all kids love to read – for some it is a real chore. Add to that, the lure of screens, it’s easy to understand why lots of Australian children have become “read-a-phobes”. She Shopped photographer, Aise, recently came across ABC Reading Eggs and introduced it to her daughter Madi. After speaking to Aise about the benefits of the program, I knew I had to share it with all my She Shopped friends – anything that encourages healthy screen-time and aids growing little people’s confidence, especially before they transition to school, is important to me.
So what is ABC Reading Eggs?
It was created by a highly experienced team of primary school teachers, writers and developers to help children become fluent and proficient readers. The multi-award winning early learning resource supports children’s learning to read journey with carefully designed online reading games and activities that are easy to follow, self-paced, and highly engaging for young learners.
The program is designed to develop early literacy skills for children aged 3–13, especially those preparing for school, by focusing on the five essential components of reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. It’s a great tool for building your child’s confidence before starting school.
ABC Reading Eggs program features:
– My Lesson: 120 guided and interactive reading lessons
– Spelling: 96 carefully graded spelling lessons
– Driving Tests: 45 literacy tests that assess sight words, phonics skills and vocabulary, and reward children with fun racing car games.
– Story Factory: provides a step-by- step guide to writing a story. Children can choose illustrations and access word and sentence suggestions to craft an original story. There’s also a weekly story writing competition.
– Storylands: opens after lesson 60 and contains 20 new lessons that build young children’s comprehension and vocabulary skills.
– ABC Reading Eggspress Library: over 2000 e-books sorted by reading age and Lexile level, including fiction and informational texts. The library also includes read-aloud options for beginner readers. Each book ends with a comprehension quiz to assess children’s understanding.
– Rewards-based areas: ABC Reading Eggs is designed to reward children for their achievements to motivate them to keep learning. The program includes multiple rewards-based areas, like the Shop and the Arcade, where children can buy items and games with the golden eggs they earn.
– Parent dashboard: Parents have access to detailed progress reports and hundreds of full-colour activity sheets that correspond with the lessons in the program.
ABC Reading Eggs is really user friendly – it works well on various devices including desktops, iPad and tablets. I love how parents can reward their child by printing out a certificate after they complete each map.
Want to try the program? You’ve got nothing to lose. ABC Reading Eggs is extending their special FREE 5 week trial to She Shopped friends. But hurry, offer ends 30 September 2016*.
Click here to get started today www.readingeggs.com.au/sheshopped/
*Offer available to new customers only.